One paragraph reviews on art, movies, books, and pop culture by a know-nothing who knows it all

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Viva La Boheme

"Rent" is an entertaining little movie to add to the list of interpretations of Puccini's "La Boheme." When it comes to updated versions of the classic opera, I would probably vote for Baz Luhrmann's "Moulin Rouge" as my favorite remake. The dizzying machine-gun mania of "M.R." is enough to send any viewer into an ecstatic fit. "Rent" is more serious than "M.R.," as two-thirds of its characters are either HIV-positive or junkies. Still, "Rent" has a lot of high-energy routines as it examines young love and young death. The catchy songs got so wedged in my head that I think I'm going to have to buy the soundtrack. (Never saw the play on Broadway, so I can't compare it.) (Image via Rotten Tomatoes via Sony Pictures)

Labels: