One paragraph reviews on art, movies, books, and pop culture by a know-nothing who knows it all

Monday, February 06, 2006

When Our Love Passed Out on the Couch

Exene Cervenka's show, "America the Beautiful," at DKCT Contemporary feels a bit tired. At one point in my life, I was a big fan of X, the seminal L.A. punk band that Exene fronted, so I was eager to see this show. It consists of a number of small collages that juxtapose ironic and iconic imagery. Twenty + years ago, this stuff would seem humorously biting, but now it's just little puppy dog nips. In addition to the collages, the gallery displays some of Exene's scrawled journals and books of poems, such as "Adulterers Anonymous," under sealed glass, as though she is Walt Whitman and this is the New York Public Library. Seemed a little silly to me, and I'm a fan. (Image via DKCT Contemporary)

Labels: