One paragraph reviews on art, movies, books, and pop culture by a know-nothing who knows it all

Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Rothko Reality Show

Mark Rothko's essays on art, "The Artist's Reality," has been published in paperback and received a rave review from the NY Sun. Here's some of that review:
Though I find myself seduced by the gorgeous, vibrating edges, I often feel that the larger color forms are staring out at me like wide-open mouths with not much to say. I have the complete opposite experience while reading the artist's writings - in which there may be some contradictory fuzziness around the edges but the center is always sound.
The reporter adds that "this is one of the most important documents written by an Abstract Expressionist--or by an American painter." With that statement, I'll have to add it to my evergrowing reading list.

Labels: