One paragraph reviews on art, movies, books, and pop culture by a know-nothing who knows it all

Monday, July 24, 2006

Sitting in a Tin Can

I can't quite say that architect Zaha Hadid's show at Max Protetch gallery is an art exhibit. Yes, architecture is art, but are paintings of 3-D models used to promote the structure considered to be art or just another way to imagine what the finished product will look like? When I've gone to architecture exhibits, I enjoy seeing all the tools--blueprints, models, and photographs--to get a sense of the architect's vision. At this show, which coincides with a retrospective of Hadid at the Guggenheim, I felt a tad bit short-changed. The only aspect of Hadid's vision we see here are the "Silver Paintings" and a 12-foot long bench. The images themselves felt claustrophobic and had a passe futuristic look. If I want to get a sense of Hadid, I think I'll have to check out the Guggenheim exhibition.
(Images via Max Protetch gallery)

Labels: