One paragraph reviews on art, movies, books, and pop culture by a know-nothing who knows it all

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Not So Special Yet

It made the New York Times' 10 Best Books of 2006, but "Special Topics in Calamity Physics" by Marisha Pessl has yet to ensnare me. Granted, I'm only on page 74 of this 514-paged novel, so I'll withhold total judgment. Nevertheless, there's something a little too cute about this book. Perhaps, because I recently finished reading the superb "The Emperor's Children," which also centers on an intellectual father and his adoring daughter, that I feel that "S.T.I.C.P." is not up to par. Some people have compared it to Donna Tartt's "The Secret History," which also took a while before it beguiled me. So, I'll give "Special Topics..." a chance, perhaps another 200 pages or so before I return it to the library. (Image via Thephoenix.com)

Labels: