One paragraph reviews on art, movies, books, and pop culture by a know-nothing who knows it all

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Elusively Inclusive

Robert Irwin wants gallerygoers to experience rather than just observe his installation "Who's Afraid of Red Yellow and Blue 3" at Pace Wildenstein gallery. The problem is that sometimes a person needs a little shove before he takes a dive. Like other visitors, I walked around and observed the 16-by-22 blue, yellow, and red aluminum panels laying on the floor, with their identical twin suspended from the ceiling. Observing from the periphery, I felt excluded from whatever Irwin was trying to convey. However, after I walked between the panels, I started to groove on this installation. Sandwiched between these shiny plates, I then finally could "experience" it. Still, should you have to literally stand on art in order to experience it and become a part of it?

Labels: