One paragraph reviews on art, movies, books, and pop culture by a know-nothing who knows it all

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Hand It to Pan

I didn't think I would like it, but I did. After seeing "Pan's Labyrinth," I truly hope that director Guillermo Del Toro receives an Oscar nomination today. I don't like fables, I don't like fantasy, and I don't like creepy monster-beings, but I was completely enraptured with "Pan's..." which incorporates all those things. Del Toro had the entire theater audience in the palm of his hand. Great storytelling. Great images. My favorite scene: While the evil Captain is shaving, he places his razor against his throat's mirror image and drags the blade across the glass. Now that's a cinematic image. (Image via Ecranlarge.com)

UPDATE: Well, at least Del Toro got nominated for best screenplay and the flick received five other nominations.

Labels: ,