One paragraph reviews on art, movies, books, and pop culture by a know-nothing who knows it all

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Bits of Crumb

R. CRUMB Where am IAfter seeing a small show of R. Crumb's work at David Zwirner's gallery, I may need to rethink my dogmatic view that cartoons don't deserve to be in an art gallery. I was entertained. This exhibit felt more like a sampling of the cult figure's drawings, many of which are doodles on paper place mats from restaurants in France, where he now lives. After seeing Terry Zwigoff's 1994 documentary on the artist (can't believe I just described him as that), I've been a fan. I liked the restaurant doodles (including the stains) the most, as well as the panels that featured the writings of Charles Bukowski. (Crumb and Bukowski--now there's a match.) (Images via David Zwirner gallery)

R. CRUMB Cous Cous Restaurant Ganges
R. CRUMB Yet even during the sex act I think

Labels: