One paragraph reviews on art, movies, books, and pop culture by a know-nothing who knows it all

Friday, August 26, 2005

Sweet Gwen Verdon

I came across this image in a magazine that I was about to toss out, and it struck me. It reminded of the real Sweet Charity--Gwen Verdon. I think this collage accompanied a review of the revival of "Sweet Charity" with Christina Applegate. (This new version has received tepid reviews, by the way.)
If you're interested in the on-again, off-again, on-off-on roller coaster ride of this production, check out this article.
I'm a huge fan of the original Sweet Charity Gwen Verdon, who died in 2000 at age 75. (To learn anything & everything about Gwen, check out this amazing fan website.)
For the past two years, I've listened obessively to the Sweet Charity soundtrack with Gwen, which includes "If My Friends Could See Me Now," "There's Gotta Be Something Better than This," and "I'm the Bravest Individual." It always puts me in a good mood.
I love this image of Ms. Verdon and her then-husband Bob Fosse. (Don't even get me started on my minor addiction to All That Jazz.) I particularly like how they're both clenching down on cigarettes while dancing.

Labels: ,