One paragraph reviews on art, movies, books, and pop culture by a know-nothing who knows it all

Thursday, August 04, 2005

House of Mirth

I love books, movies, anything about old New York, so, of course, I loved "House of Mirth" by Edith Wharton. The book focuses on the striking Lily Bart's ascent to and descent from high society. So much of the book's depiction of the superficial moneyed class could easily be applied to today's jetsetters. For instance, "...the ideals of a world where conspicuousness passed for distinction and the society column had become the roll of fame." And this was published in 1905! As Lily falls out of favor, I started to lose interest too, I must admit. The book did get a little maudlin at the end, but I'll let it slide. This is Edith Wharton, after all.

Labels: