One paragraph reviews on art, movies, books, and pop culture by a know-nothing who knows it all

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

"Blue Movie" Is a Turnoff

If you dig that electric blue color that your TV emits when the cable's turned off, you might want to check out "Blue Movie..." at Elizabeth Dee Gallery. Artist Gareth James's origami-based blue sculptures sitting atop stacks of bubble wrap left me scratching my head. After reading starred reviews of the show in two publications, I was anxious to see it, but I ended up unimpressed. This is the type of show where the gallery's statement reads like a sophomore's term paper written at 4 am after a night of drinking:
James' work continues to prioritize topological over purely visual shifts in representation, insisting that the necessity for developing our abstract formal capacities for understanding those global operations that circumscribe our lives (while exceeding our capacity to “figure” them) is increasingly urgent.

I went to the show, and I have no idea what they are talking about. My advice: skip it, even if that electric blue color turns you on.

Labels: