One paragraph reviews on art, movies, books, and pop culture by a know-nothing who knows it all

Monday, May 22, 2006

Beloved Housekeeping

"Beloved" is the best American novel to be published in the past 25 years, according to a NYT book review survey of writers, critics, and others. The four runners-up included novels by Don DeLillo, Cormac McCarthy, John Updike, and Philip Roth. (Check out James Tata's post on this article and his critique of the winners.)
My current reading habits are shameful, and this article, I hope, is a kick in the pants to get me to pull this Toni Morrison book off my shelf. In addition to the runners-up, 17 other novels received the stamp approval. Among these is Marilynne Robinson's "Housekeeping." Let's see if I can read these two novels--considered to be tops--over this summer.

Labels: