One paragraph reviews on art, movies, books, and pop culture by a know-nothing who knows it all

Friday, May 26, 2006

Grief on Broadway

When I first heard that Joan Didion's book, "The Year of Magical Thinking" was going to be a Broadway play, I kind of chuckled. The book, which is a memoir about the year after Didion's husband died, is a personal book about grief. Making it into a stage act seemed along the lines of making a musical of "The American Way of Death." I also imagined Joan Didion up there on stage, taking bows and blowing kisses to the crowd as the curtain fell. But now I read that Vanessa Redgrave will play the role of Didion and that the play will be a one-woman monologue. I'm intrigued. This could work very well. The play will open next spring, and I'm sure it will be one of the hottest tickets in town. (Image via NYTimes)

Labels: ,