One paragraph reviews on art, movies, books, and pop culture by a know-nothing who knows it all

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Deja Yue

Remember this name: Yue Minjun. He's a hot Chinese artist. If you read the New York Times, you're likely not to forget his name. Within the last week and a half, the Times has published two articles about the artist. Both stories were about the sizzling Chinese art market, and both featured photos of Yue laughing in front of his artwork. When I saw today's article, I felt that I had read about Yue before, so I spent an hour rifling through every magazine I own. After I searched the web, I discovered that the Times was the source of the earlier promotion. Why is the Times such a big cheerleader of Yue? Or are the Times arts editors unaware of what the others are publishing? (Images via New York Times)

Labels: ,